Thursday, September 3, 2009

First week, first post

Praha!


Friends, family, interested parties, lend me your ears and eyes for Volume 1, issue 1, of the adventures of Lisa, an American girl let loose in Central Europe, a superhero with the awesome powers to study and take off-center pictures.




Kafka!


My first week has been incredibly busyawesome, including tours of historical districts, a klezmer concert, a Shabbat service, about 10 cups of kava (coffee), and many trips to the grocery store. I've mostly taken pictures of buildings so far, because otherwise I feel uncomfortably touristy taking out my camera. I need to just get over it, because there is cool stuff everywhere you turn.






This guy was juggling fire for tourists, until the police and the restaurant owner came out to make him stop. He blew them out one by one, very theatrically, then bowed, and went on his way.


My school group went to this amazing and controversial art exhibit called ENTROPA, which is a huge sculpture depicting all the countries in Europe, but in really obscene ways. You should Google it. It's brilliant.


The Old Jewish Cemetery on a gorgeous overcast day. I put a wish rock on the grave of Rabbi Low, who made the golem, and then contemplated taking a rock from the ground, but returned it because I was afraid of a curse.

I'll write and post more later, but I am very tired after an outrageous week, so na shledanou (goodbye) for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment